Sunday, July 15, 2012

Just making art

I used to think you had to be really good at drawing or making a living with art to call yourself an artist. I now know that is not true. 
I have gone to art galleries and looked closely at masterpieces. You don't have to be able to draw realistically to call yourself an artist. 
There are lots of people who make art without getting paid anything for it.You don't have to sell art to be an artist.
Art and artist have as many definitions as people who talk about it. For me, art is merely something I like to look at and I am an artist because I like to create things that I find beautiful. Not everything I make turns out the way it is in my head but that doesn't stop me from making it anyway.

The latest class I did at 21 Secrets was with Christine Mason Miller and was about adding words to your page. I did the background with dye sprays and also glimmer mists. I had put gesso on the page first and for some unknown reason the sprays didn't stick in some areas leaving the white dots. I left them because they looked like stars. The butterflies were stamped on but I didn't like the way they looked so I painted over them.


The next page I did was with textured gesso and acrylic paints. The phrase was on the book page that I used as a background. The dandelion is a stamp. This is probably one of my favourite pages so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment