Wednesday, March 14, 2018

More mixed media textiles

This is the second post using the same mixed media textile background I have previously created and shared. When I did my fabric background I used a piece of fabric that was about a metre (yard) square so I could experiment with a few ideas. I have shared the first three I did and now I have two more to share.

I used the same piece of fabric from before. I only used part of this long strip to make the grid design. I had already stamped and painted the background and then arranged and glued the pieces of fabric and media to it. I turned the fabric over and used a template to draw circles all over the back. I tried to put them as close as possible to get the most out of the fabric as I could. 


I then flipped them back over to see what I had. This is the surprise part of the process. Some little pieces of fabric may need extra glue to hold them in place. I arranged the circles on my background which is more of the painted fabric. I cut some of the circles in two so they could be placed along the edge. I didn't like the stamped side with the circles on top so I flipped the background over to the back. This side had the paint and was a little plainer so the whole design didn't look too busy.

I decided this piece was going to be entirely hand stitched. I made a pile of laces, felts and ribbons to add to the squares as I stitched. I started stitching each circle adding the extra pieces to make them interesting paying attention to the colours as well. I used only thread to enhance the shapes this time, no beads or embellishments. 


When the stitching of each circle was done I then stitched them to the background using a variety of stitches. I am quite pleased with the way you can really change the look of a piece just with a few variations. I think the circles are my favourite in this series but then I really like the others too.  It is always hard to pick a favourite.


This last piece was made from a few extra squares I had left over when I cut the fabric up for the grid. This time I added charms and zipper teeth to the tiles. I added more stitching on these because there was only 6 to do. I have stitched them to a background for a journal cover at the end of the year. I am not sharing the background technique yet. That is part of a class later in the year and I will share more then.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my ramblings and I hope you enjoy having a go at one of the techniques.

6 comments:

  1. I love how this came out--beautiful stichery on these hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful textile art - I am thrilled about the circle fabric you came up with!
    I found you via YT recently and want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing your wonderful art and knowledge!
    Just so generous!
    I will visit you more often in the future and will brose your wonderful blog - so many great tutorials and techniques!

    My blog:
    FROEBELSTERNCHEN

    Greetings from Austria
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful! So inspirational!

    ReplyDelete